Welcome!

Are you a gamer? Want semi-expert opinions on new and old games both popular and overlooked? Then this site is right for you!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Super Scribblenauts Review

Super Scribblenauts
Publisher: Warner Bros. Developer: 5th Cell Platform: DS Players: 1 Release: 2010 Genre: Puzzle / Sandbox Rating:9.9 \ 10.0: Masterful
Wow. This game puts my brain to the test, yet it’s incredibly fun. You can create countless objects and apply adjectives to them to change their behavior and appearance, and objects must be created in order to complete levels. Some levels require a lot of thinking in order to obtain the Starite, a yellow star that must be collected in order to complete the level, and sometimes the solution is dead obvious, such as on Constellation 1, Level 1 (obviously). There are three colored Starites in a tree, and you must get the real one, which is sparkling. Unaware that Starites could be easily damaged, I created a rock and hurled it at the real Starite. Thankfully, the Starite wasn’t destroyed, but it was amusing to watch the apparently anthropomorphic star hop around in pain before I snagged it. Another example is the third level, in which you must create a single car part.

A good example of a very hard level is Constellation 9, Level 2, in which you must help a group of cheerleaders run a carwash. The level’s last hint was “What two objects create suds?” So I created soap and water. But that didn’t work, and I tried again. Eventually, I got so angry that I purposely blew up the cheerleaders with dynamite in rage and I had to retry the level. So then I looked up on the internet, “What two objects create suds?”, which I knew the answer too, and of course, the answer was "soap and water", which infuriated me. Later that day, someone suggested I create a bucket and water, and that worked. 

If you wish to complete this game 100%, then your vocabulary will be put to the test. Some levels have an advanced mode, which requires you to beat it three times in a row without ever using the same objects and adjectives in each playthrough. While some of the difficulty of advanced mode can be negated by using synonyms, it still challenged me greatly. 

In addition to Maxwell, the main protagonist, there's a wide variety of playable characters that are purchased with Ollars, the in-game currency that's earned by creating new objects, completing levels, and accomplishing other feats. The characters include mythological creatures, historical icons, monsters, and even the antagonist, Doppelganger! For those who just want to have fun and don't enjoy the complexity of Starite-collecting can mess around in the various "playgrounds" in which you can create anything you want without getting harmed (unless you destroy objects like nukes, attempt touch a grim reaper, create a black hole, or do something else apocalyptic. You'll die instantly)! If you're skilled enough, you can achieve every merit not involving Starites in a single playground (I've completed them all).  I played in the playgrounds so often, I ran out of interseting objects to create (I've created over 10,000 unique  objects while playing on my first save file)! Additionally, there is a fun Level Builder mode, where you can create tons of different level types, and even your own playground. Super Scribblenauts can be frustrating at times, but it manages to be expertly puzzle and entertain players, and it is one of the greatest games I have ever played! I can't think of a better reason to pick up and play a Nintendo DS.

Ups
Neat premise
New adjectives feature
Playground mode
Level Builder mode

Downs
Sometimes very difficult
ESRB: E 10+ for Everyone 10+ Content: Cartoon Violence and Comic Mischief Price: $19.99 (Retail)

4 comments:

  1. Did you mention the Easter Eggs? ex. blindfold makes the whole screen go black, Arcade machine makes you go into a game where you have to destroy rockets, Time machine takes you to about 5 different levels, and the adjective "random" makes an objet turn into anything random in about a few seconds. like a random sword! also, the different kinds of swords are a dagger, a short sword, and the "ultimate weapon". i highly reccomend using the ultimate weapon for self defense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing out the blindfold Easter egg! If I'd have created it not not l'd have thought it was A visual glitch! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vocabulary is exceptional at such a young age, and your reviews on video games is well done. I have a pleasant time reading them, some the games you review my be a bit below my age level but scribblenauts despite it E for everyone seems like a fun game for me even though I'm 17 I should defiantly check it out some time thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I would like to say that it is rated E 10+, and I got it when I was 8.

      Delete