Welcome!

Are you a gamer? Want semi-expert opinions on new and old games both popular and overlooked? Then this site is right for you!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rayman Origins Review

Rayman Origins
Publisher: Ubisoft Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier Platform: Wii Players: 1-4 Release: 2011 Genre: 2D Platformer Rating: 9.4 / 10.0: Excellent


I have always somewhat thought of video games as a form of art, but this is the game that made that perfectly clear to me. The first thing you'll notice about Rayman Origins is how bizarre yet beautiful it is. The cover art implies that this isn't exactly the most normal game you'll ever, and the plot reinforces this— Rayman, the limbless star of the game and his pals are resting in the Glade of Dreams, and there loud snoring annoys the residents of the Land of the Livid Dead, thus starting a war. The excellently designed levels are chock-full of strange enemies and hazards. This is especially noticeable in the Desert of Didgeridoos, a music-themed world where you'll bounce on drums, ride a sentient flying flute, avoid waves on violin strings, and more. If you're a completionist, than I wish you luck in rescuing all 246 groups of captured Electoons, the impish inhabitants of the Glade. Electoons are required to unlock new characters which are found at the Snoring Tree, the home of the Bubble Dreamer, the being who dreams Rayman’s world into existence.

You gain a new ability the first level of worlds one through five freeing a Nymph, a magical resident of the Glade. You gain the ability to attack in the first world, the ability to hover in the second, the ability to fit through small passages by shrinking in the third, the ability to dive underwater in the fourth, and the ability to run up walls by sprinting in  the fifth. After completing the fifth world, you gain access to four more areas which are essentially harder versions of the lands you've already traverse. In addition to being a large surprise, this is perfectly fair, as by the time you've overcome the previous challenges, you'll be well prepared for what lies ahead. Because you've obtained every power, you'll also see some new obstacles in environments where you wouldn't have before. You must defeat a massive boss at the end of each one thus, freeing the world’s king. Beating the first four special boss levels, Poor Little Daisy, To Bubblize a Mockingbird, My Heartburn’s For You, and Murray of the Deep, gives you access to the tenth and final world, Moody Clouds. I’ve got to the final level, The Reveal, and I won’t spoil who the villain is. But that's still not the end of the game! The main thing I don’t like about Rayman Origins is that  the game is very difficult but has no way to save your progress mid-stage, which is why I recommend this to advanced gamers. When stuff gets tough, I commonly take a suicidal dive into a pit just so I can restart from the previous checkpoint with more a magic heart to shield me from an extra hit (you have unlimited lives). The short Treasure Chase levels in which you pursue a sentient, sentient, cyclopean treasure chest through a deadly gauntlet add to the challenge, but also to the fun. By completing these stages, you will obtain a red gem that is apparently a tooth of a strange elderly creature that resides in the Bubble Dreamer's tree house. Collect 'em all, and you'll get a surprise that will truly test your skills.

This game is an enjoyable romp solo, but you can bring up to three pals along for chaotic New Super Mario Bros. Wii-style co-op that lets your group slap each other silly with little consequence. I could never quite put my finger on what was just so appealing about this game when I first played it, but I've figured it out. As I mentioned earlier, this game is a visual marvel. Thanks to the powerful UbiArt engine, Origins sports beautiful hand-drawn graphics and even better animation. Everything's just so flowing and smooth— it's hard to explain, and this game would make an excellent cartoon. The music is one of the most important elements of the silly, cartoony vibe. It's a joy to hear the high-pitched acapella present in many tracks, but much of the music is legitimately catchy and enjoyable. When an orchestra is thrown in, it isn't simply generic stock-sounding tunes, it's epic and inspirational. Incredibly hard or not, Rayman Origins is simply fantastic! It's a platforming masterpiece, and one of the must creative and humorous titles I've ever played.

Ups
Fun multiplayer madness
Very creative and humorous
Chaotic co-op with literal slapstick humor
Gorgeous hand-drawn visuals and animation
Silly, catchy, and occasionally epic score
Tons of variety

Downs
Very difficult with no mid-stage saving

Also available on Xbox 360, Xbox One (via backwards compatibility), PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, 3DS, and PC.
ESRB: E 10+ Content: Comic Mischief, Mild Cartoon Violence, and Suggestive Themes Price: $39.99 (Retail)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a game for me since I need the unlimited lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this wacky game-it was fit for me! I finished the game within a months time. Although I have not finished the land of the Livid Dead yet. I hope they make a second Origins because I didn't think the first was long enough (like Portal 2 campaign). But overall, this game was one of my favorites from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the review (although we both probably both like the game better) and plus this is 1 of the best comments I've ever gotten! RAYMAN FOREVER! :)

      Delete